Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear Specialists are primarily responsible for defending the country against the threat of CBRN weapons and Weapons of Mass Destruction. Vermont is home to the 86th Infantry Brigade Combat Team and the 15th Civil Support Team with multiple Chemical positions throughout the state..
Job training for a CBRN specialist requires 10 weeks of basic training, where you learn basic soldiering skills, and 11 weeks of Advanced Individual Training and on-the-job instruction. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and in the field.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Operation of CBRN Decontamination, Defense, Detection and Monitoring Equipment
- Preparation for CBRN defense Actions/Procedures
- Wear and use of protective equipment
- Hazardous Material Certification (at the awareness level)
- Exposure to toxic agents while wearing CBRN protective equipment